Zionsville High School was first organized as a three-year high school in 1888. The two-story school plant consisted of seven rooms.
In 1911, a new school was constructed for high school purposes on a 2.2 acre site at Walnut and North Streets. It consisted of seven classrooms, an auditorium-assembly combination and a gymnasium. In 1923, an addition was made which more than doubled the classroom facilities and afforded a combined gymnasium and auditorium for grades 1-12. The original building was condemned and abandoned, and torn down in 1922.
From 1888 to 1910, the high school was known as the Zionsville High School; from 1910 to 1970, it was commissioned as Eagle Township High School. In 1970 the Eagle-Union Community School Corporation was organized for Eagle and Union Townships. In 2000 the name was changed to Zionsville Community Schools.
In the fall of 1996 Zionsville Community High School began a major renovation project. The school size doubled and the entire infrastructure was updated and renovated. Additional facilities were added such as a new cafeteria, media center and performance gymnasium. In the fall of 2003 the new performing arts center will open and in the fall of 2005, the new freshman center and swimming pool will open.